the Rift

:: Q&A ::

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Why cant companions be extinct animals?
If helovia is a place completely sepparated from earth and humans surely creatures extinct here would still thrive in helovia, also what is the harm in having a dodo bird companion or a thylacine? A scrat!!!
Just wondering bc i think its a shame we cant reimagine these animals in helovia <3

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
Neverrmind, we had to draw a line somewhere because dinosaurs/dragons are very similar in concept since dragons were imagined from dinosaurs. In order to have an easy, clear line with a rule, we made it so that we cannot have extinct animals as pets. If we did a year range, that would be too open to interpretation and we'd be arguing with people about x million years variance between publications, etc.

The second reason is that animals pre-dating the timeline of man or even earlier in our history are generally much, much, much bigger, more powerful and with extreme appendages (like saber-tooth fangs, 16 ft ostriches, etc). All of our companions are miniaturized, but they all maintain their "natural" abilities like biting and clawing. It would be very hard in battle to have to think about an extinct animal and their movement considering we don't have actual footage of many of these creatures.

It's obviously a complex issue, but we have mythical companions (boggarts and rougrou) which can take on the form of any mythical creature with a wiki page! Which I think is pretty open to be creative.

Normal companions are supposed to be commonplace/normal and we have to keep in mind our current frame of reference. That's why we drew the line there with normal companions.

Skylark Posts: 1
Junior Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 5'3 :: 23
Skylark
Is it possible to have magic work hand in hand?
Like, lets say Kia's passive magic shows deer, would I be able to get her active magic where she summons the creature made of fire that is represented in her passive? :O

I just want to make sure it wouldn't be to close to Arakh's magic where he can summon creatures made of fire if it is possible to do it that way.

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
Yep that's fine sky!

Astor Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'5 :: 27
Astor
I'm having difficulty tagging people - is this just me? Am I doing it correctly? D:

@+name, with no space in between?

Because I've tried to tag Rexanna and Najya recently, and it doesn't seem to want to link to their profiles.

I also haven't been getting the ones from Yael's thread with Isopia. Is there a setting I need to change?

Administrator
Tamme

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
@Astor - did that work?

And when you try to tag someone it should be @NameSPACE

So like

@Odd

Try tagging me and see if it works. Sometimes you need to hit refresh to get it to show up - and it won't show up when you preview.

OOC Account
Astor
Well that's definitely weird. You just tagged me, and now I have six unread messages... where as before, I didn't have any.

@Odd

Edit: oh haaaa they're all from you.

Ok, testing @Yael because I'm not getting her tags from Isopia

Edit 2: That worked. Ok guess I won't worry about it :)

Sarah Posts: 7
Junior Administrator
Mare :: Equine :: 5'6'' :: 26
Sarah
Can a character maintain their colouring when they shape shift if that's not expressly mentioned in their magic (like how Iso's magic mentions maintaining her facial markings)?

Like, Vastra can shift into any animal she can get some organic material from so if she ate the hair of a lion could she turn into a lion that's got her red coat/her colour scheme? Or should it just be the natural colour of the lion?

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
You can retains some colors and markings yep! Or not retain, it would just need to be the same each time. Like you can't be a black seal one time then a gray seal the next.
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo
would it be outrageous if Tangere could *briefly* see through Phrixus' eyes sometimes? as of now i have written them sharing "images" of what the other sees in front of them, along with feelings and sometimes a few words...but... i was wondering if some day they might be able to graduate to "sharing sight" for a minute or two before the connection weakens

;D

thanks in advance and i hope i'm not asking something that's been asked one thousand times <33

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
@Tangere

(02-02-2016, 11:49 PM)Riven Wrote: I used to write Africa looking through her companion's eyes. Is this actually possible, or was I naughty - can a character view the world through their companion's eyes?

(02-03-2016, 11:18 AM)Odd Wrote: It isn't like Beast Master (OMG IS THAT REFERENCE TOTALLY TOO OLD?!), where you can steal their eyes and 'be' them. But because you have a mind-to-mind connection with them, you can experience what they're experiencing pretty immediately.

(02-06-2016, 02:57 PM)Blu Wrote: just to add to this:
You might also perceive it differently from your companion when they see/smell/hear/taste/touch, because a horse's brain is wired to perceive the world one way, and a companion's another. Just like as humans we cannot see the UV light birds can, so even if you were bonded to a bird, your body simply cannot sense things the same way the bird does, bond or not!
If it was like beast master and you became the bird through the bond, then you could see the UV light, but as Odd pointed out that's not the way it functions.
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo
Thanks @Blu !

<3

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

OOC Account
Astor
Hi guys! I have a question about unicorn design. Could I have a character that has, say, a 'crown' of horns?

Based on a Stryacosaurus, but minus the expansive head plate. So just the series of horns at the top of her skull? Three on each side or so.

Something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...nosaur.png

smitty the swift Posts: 22
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 1 :: 1
@Astor You sure can!
From the Guidebook regarding Unicorn designs: "Horns can appear anywhere on the body and in any shape or size."

So a crown of horns is perfectly acceptable! :]

OOC Account
Astor
@Smitty Thanks! Wasn't sure if it would be considered excessive or not ^_^

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
This is going to be long-winded as hell, but I'm basically double-checking to make sure I'm doing this correctly. XDDD

In a current thread: here, Erebos is looking for Enna's attacker, and Thranduil intercepts. Talking, talking, lying, lying, etc. and Thranduil uses his item: (:: [ Item: Dagger ("Euske") | Offensive. A small iron dagger with a black hilt which is enchanted with an ability which allows the viewer to see an ongoing event in a nearby land when invoked with the phrase "the watching shift goes ever on" ]
:: [ Restrictions | The event must be occurring in an active thread within a board adjacent to the board where the viewer writes as using the item; due to the small viewing plane not all details of the event will be seen or understood. ]

Now - is it okay to have Erebos use this to see Calstron (Enna's attacker) since it happened in a nearby thread (Heart Caves - here)? I've received permission from Goat to have him see Cal (and to play around with it a bit because we can't make it too easy ;D), but I wanted to make sure I was doing this right. 

Lord, sorry if I've confused you all. @___@

Administrator
Tamme
I think I've understood!
- Yes, that board is adjacent - all good
- Yes, you have permission from goat - all good

The only issue is that it's Thranduil's item, so Erebos can't see it. Only Thranduil can!

@Heather

Heather Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Equine :: 5 feet :: 28
Heather
Ah, gotcha! Thank you Tamme. This will require further plotting. ;D

Oizys Posts: 134
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 7.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 17hh :: 2 HP: 73.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ker :: Philippine Eagle :: Curse Snow
This may seem like a stupid question haha but I just want it confirming - if your character has a stat-affecting health problem but then you quest to have the health problem cured, stats will no longer be affected, right?

I know it sounds dumb but I just want to make 100% sure that fixing health problems also fixes stats xD Thanks!

[ the gargoyle queen ]
OIZYS IS ALWAYS RATED M FOR STRONG LANGAUGE IN HER POSTS