the Rift

[OPEN] It's as easy as...

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai

He seethed for a while, refusing to answer as he stomped down the path. Her questions prickled him more than he felt they should, because there were too much truth in them to simply brush aside. He didn't have any ideas, and he didn't want to die, but he didn't want to ask for help either. It was a glorious mess, all of it, and the only answer he found to fling back into her face lacked conviction - more of a hot surly stubbornness than anything else.

"There are things worse than dying", he said, lips stiff with disapproval. "Of course I want to live, but not if it means I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life thanking a self-satisfied, bloated overlord and run errands because I'm too scared that they'll take back their powers. Who would want that? Who would be so stupid as to sell their freedom for a maybe?"

He kicked a stone off the path with a hoof and watched without any greater satisfaction as it bounced into a stream of lava, hissing and spitting as it slowly melted and disappeared. Was that how he would go out - melt into the matter of the world in fits of agony? Or would it be more like the snuffing of a candle; one moment he was there and the next... not. Just gone.

They had almost reached the mainland. Soon enough they would end up parting ways, she back home, wherever that was and he would go off somewhere, away to more desperate searching. In a way he would be glad to be rid of her, because Ranjiri had a way of getting on his nerves without really trying. Still, he had to admit that it was rather nice to have someone around that actually listened to him without shrinking back, someone who put up a bit of a fight.

Well. He probably wouldn't see her again, even after all those pretty words. Especially after the promises to help. He'd heard them before, and look how much help they'd given him so far.

"I'll only go to a god for help when there are no other options left" he added belatedly, stubborn and surly as always.

@Ranjiri

Cathun
The firebrand

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

"There are things worse than dying."

"Yeah?" I asked and I didn't bother to hide the skepticism in my voice. He started talking about how he didn't want to spend his life thanking a self-satisfied, bloated overlord"Those self-satisfied, bloated overlords might be your only chance." I warned even though I knew by that point how much he loathed the idea. But hadn't he said that no one else had been able to do anything?

"Either way, you're going to be thanking someone for helping save your life." So why not swallow a little bit of pride and keep on living? The choice seemed simple enough to me, but I also didn't have an ego the size of the Dragon's Throat or so much pride that it leaked out of my ears.

"I'll only go to a god for help when there are no other options left."

"So basically once your time is almost up and you've got so little time left that you're just waiting to die?" Again, I didn't bother to hide the hint of sarcasm in my tone. "You're frustrating." I snorted and I trotted forward. "If you won't ask the Diviner I'll do it myself. And I'll ask the gods myself. I'll do their quest myself because they don't give away anything for free." I turned to glance back at Cathun. "I'll be in their debt so you can keep your pride and your ego intact." Because that was what was important, wasn't it? His pride? I snorted again, still frustrated.

"."

Credits

aud pixel!

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai

If he'd had hands, he would have thrown them into the air by now. Her stubbornness was equal to his own and her heart a vast ocean of gentle strength that didn't budge no matter how many rocks he threw at it. He was impressed, against his will, and in the face of her determination he admitted defeat. But only just.

"Fine!" he cried, rolling his eyes at her as he descended the trail in her wake, breathing a sigh of relief as hooves finally met snow, ice and brown grasses. The lava fields lay behind them, the vast mainland of Helovia spread out ahead - and Cathun had no intentions on going back to the Throat. Not yet.

"Go ahead and do whatever, I'll believe it when I see it. Tell your bloody gods I said hi, will ya? Or wait, no, don't. I'd really rather not have my name known to the likes of them."

He spat on the ground in disgust at the thought, but even as he stepped away from her to leave, the spark-spraying colt gave the girl a smile. It was wry, it was crooked and rather smug, but it was far closer to being friendly than anything he had done so far.

"So, where can I find you once you've completed your self sacrificing quest to save my wretched soul?"

He had been too busy throwing a hissy-fit to pay attention when she'd introduced herself, and now he couldn't remember whether she had mentioned a herd or not. The colt tried to look back on the conversation - well, argument more like - but the thought of her smart comments was so annoying that he gave up without even really trying.

Chances were, he would never see her face ever again. The thought ought to have made him happy and relieved, but to his own surprise the youth felt a stab of disappointment instead. Somehow, in the midst of all the bickering he had actually enjoyed himself... which was even more irksome, and he would never admit it in a thousand years because he would hate giving her right.

Cathun took another step away from Ranjiri, ready to leave without a backwards glance (okay, maybe just a small one, really quick and fleeting).

Cathun
The firebrand

@Ranjiri

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

Why was I even bothering with trying to help him? I really didn't understand myself, but I suspected that part of the reason was that I felt sorry for him. He was still young, younger than ... than my brother was when he died. It wasn't right to die so young before you really had a chance to live. I guess that was another reason I wanted to help him even though he was the most frustrating individual I'd ever come across in my three years of life.

"Go ahead and do whatever, I'll believe it when I see it."

"Is it fun being so negative all the time?" The question flew out of my mouth before I could stop it. "Must make your situation that much easier." I really couldn't control what I was saying and I knew that I was probably only going to make him angry, but I'd really had my fill of his bad attitude and half hidden self-pity. I couldn't help but laugh when he said he didn't want the gods to know his name. "Its already too late for that." I said. "They know everything." Or so I'd heard. And, really, what kind of gods would they be if they didn't know everything?

His next question made me sigh and I stopped then turned to him. "You really don't listen, do you?" I asked. "I told you I live in the Dragon's Throat when I said we should ask the Diviner about your necklace." And it occurred to me, then, that I didn't know where he lived. "Where do you live?"

"."

Credits

aud pixel!