the Rift

[OPEN] [welcome] skinny love

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Long gone most beloved, the road has gone away

I learned quickly that my intelligence was to be underestimated, as was often the case. It would take time for me to prove myself in these lands, and given that I had no intention to invest much effort in them I didn't allow myself to be disappointed when yet another misjudged me.

The mare said nothing in response to my barb, she only looked ahead as if unfazed. But I saw her grow tense, I felt the anger in her footfalls even from where I stood.

I had done what you never should do. Use the world around you to your advantage, never let it know you are aware of its weaknesses. I found the shortcomings in that valley to be too great to go without mention, and this was my mistake. The lion could be a mouse, you should still always treat him as a lion.

Treat him as such until the day comes that you must conquer him.

Luckily, I was quick on my feet. I still am, your mother has not lost that talent. I turned my elegant neck to face the boyish grin incarnate, and found him to be exactly as expected: proud as a peacock, standing tall like an arrogant fool.

I allowed myself to look down upon him, ever so lightly, taking advantage of my elongated frame and the small height I had on him. But I was sure to do it without the same arrogance; it would have done me no use to try and match him, and I wouldn't have let myself stoop to that, either.

"I believe you misunderstood the remark," I said before the little one could pipe up in vain. "I said these guardians were impressive, even if I find them a bit poorly decorated. Many would take such qualities and snivel in the back of a cave, your cadre has put them on display and made threats of them," I said, doing my best to recover. "It's the wise ruler that allows others to see what majesty can be created out of a potential for weakness, and a powerful one that convinces others they lack the strength to do the same."

Even I can recognize when I have made a mistake, my son. Though that was a morning of many things, a foundation of sorts, it was not a mistake--nor were any of the actions I took, or any of the words I crafted so delicately. I hope that someday you will find yourself with such a practiced tongue, and without having to put it through so much pain as I did.

The young mare introduced him, then, as if he hadn't done good enough a job with his elegant and unnecessary stance. Of course he was a Lord, even someone as "new" as I was could tell by the smug look plastered on his features and the lack of care with which he spoke to me. I was disappointed in the herd's leadership, but was not so discouraged I wouldn't allow myself just to stay one night or so.

Besides, if the antlered mare spoke the truth he was the least important of this land's three rulers. I was just thankful that at least one of them was a mare, and I hoped in that moment that she had the wisdom the rest of this barren land's inhabitants seemed to lack.

"A pleasure to meet the Lord of this land, then," I offered, meeting his gaze with as much strength as he sought out mine. I paid no attention to the small pay who had brought me here; with power before me, she was no longer very important. And as much as I desperately needed rest, I had to sort out whatever problems this stallion was to place in my path. Two could play at his game, anyhow. My eyes narrowed and my stance stiffened. Where the mare belonging to this land showed hesitation and disrespect, I would level on a plane of equality and flattery.

If nothing else, and even if I hated it, I knew how to please a man. It was all about whether or not it would serve me any good to play such games. So if stroking the gold boy's ego would allow me a night of shelter, then I would be willing to concede.

""
image credits

@Thranduil
@Enna

Messages In This Thread
[welcome] skinny love - by Enna - 08-13-2015, 04:43 PM
RE: [welcome] skinny love - by Ahvelyn - 08-18-2015, 07:10 AM
RE: [welcome] skinny love - by Thranduil - 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: [welcome] skinny love - by Enna - 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: [welcome] skinny love - by Ahvelyn - 08-24-2015, 11:08 PM
RE: [welcome] skinny love - by Thranduil - 08-30-2015, 12:24 PM