the Rift

[OPEN] [REJOINING] Breathe and Be Calm

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

"WHO GOES THERE!? This is Dragon's Throat. You seek refuge? What your name, stranger?" A voice booms from the sky and the body that it belongs to follows soon after. I jerk away from the harsh tone and stony expression. Anka responds in stark contrast to my own fear. Even as I back, wide-eyed, from the stallion my bonded springs towards him exploding with the sounds of wild chattering. I do not know what the sounds she makes mean but I do not imagine them to be anything friendly.

Anka's indignation and my desire to protect her from an oncoming aggressive stallion gives me the bravery to come forward. I thrust my ebony wing out to prevent the otter from going any closer to him. I do my best to ignore her attempts at slipping through my feathers; wincing whenever she twists a feather the wrong way.

"I am Rei. I do not seek refuge. I seek my home." He is much taller than I so I crane my neck in a vain attempt to look at him eye to eye. "I am Rei of Dragon's Throat." Even the cool presence of my water droplet charm does little to calm me as it usually does. Adding to fuel me in this moment is the shame I feel for backing from a threat. I can only imagine the reaction my father, as a general, would have had. "I am returning after having to take a leave of absence." That is a stretch. My leaving the Throat had never been discussed. I had simply gotten wrapped up in Anka's hatching and then in my own sorry moods.

My bonded gets the idea to dart around my wing so I stomp a hoof to squelch the idea before she can act upon it. I send Anka a thought of a dry lake bed. She has learned that this is a warning, it is my way of punishing her; if she disobeys me in some great manner she will go without her morning swim. The threat of the dreaded punishment is enough to prevent Anka from running around my wing. It is her favorite swim of the day, after-all.

What reason does this stallion have for such a greeting? I am obviously not out to create a threat. Eyes narrowed I run my gaze over his body. Is he someone that I had met previously? "Where I come from," I look at him slyly, "there is a story that an imp runs about stealing happiness." The imp is the king of the fairies and he spreads the happiness to all of his subjects. Like the bees with pollen the fairies make delightful snacks from the happiness that their imp king, Dokkaebi, brings to them. "But he is terrible at judging how much to take and how much to leave. Perhaps he paid you a visit and left you as no more than a grouch."

Anka does not understand my words but I send her memories I have of one of my grandfather's books that illustrated the stories of Dokkaebi the Imp; beloved King to the Fairies. She puts the images together and she too relates the story to the pegasus that looms over us with fire burning in his eyes. The realization sets her to ending her attempts to confront the stallion herself and instead puts her to rolling around on the ground in a fit of laughter.

I turn my gaze from the brute to my Anka and everything in me softens once more. A soft smile slips onto my mottled lips. Whenever I turn to him I begrudgingly offer a forced smile. "Perhaps I could officially be accepted among the herd once more and we both could move forward with our day?" Surely he has something more important to be doing.  

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!

@Einarr is a character I am so happy to finally have a thread with! As usual, the post that you just did with him was wonderful to read. Let me know if you want to be tagged or not after this!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Messages In This Thread
[REJOINING] Breathe and Be Calm - by Rei - 01-29-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: [REJOINING] Breathe and Be Calm - by Einarr - 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: [REJOINING] Breathe and Be Calm - by Rei - 01-31-2016, 12:13 AM
RE: [REJOINING] Breathe and Be Calm - by Einarr - 02-07-2016, 11:20 AM