the Rift

[PRIVATE] doesn't mean we're bound for life [kaj]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies

--This is a terrible idea.--

Do you have a better one?

His silence through the bond answered her question, and she sighed.

It was noon, or somewhere close to it; the sun shone brightly overhead, a wintery orb in a clear blue sky. A gentle breeze played with her ivory locks, swaying them to an fro, enticing them to frolic along her nape. It was chilly, but not horrendously cold, even for Frostfall. The mare was grateful for that. Her journey's end was the Hidden Falls, a place that she had visited only once before, and the thought of frigid, falling waters kissing her coat was not an appealing one. The waterfalls' spray would still be cold, she knew, but perhaps she would avoid freezing entirely. (Should she avoid it? Maybe it would be better that way.)

But it wasn't just about her anymore, was it?

--Stupid,-- Astraeus grumbled, irritation and guilt twisting in his stomach. She felt his pain, the way he blamed himself for her weakness. He had been hunting that night. If he had been there, had been able to break through her sorrow to talk her out of it --

There was no talking me out of it, she told him firmly. It just... happened. And it had made her better, hadn't it? She could see more clearly now, could think without the self-loathing that had become so familiar. Whatever the consequence, she could not bring herself to regret her actions. She could not bring herself to feel shame, or anger, and guilt. No, whatever she had brought on herself, she had done it willingly, had welcomed the cleansing that it had granted her.

Even so, she wasn't looking forward to this.

She had to find him, before her resolve wavered.

"Kaj, where are you?" she whispered, almost to herself.

Astraeus departed, sparks falling from his feathers. He was grumpy and irritable, but he would still do anything to assist his bonded, even if he did not agree with her choices.

He would find the Aurelight.

"Talk talk talk."
--Astraeus.--
you give up your soul till you break down;
subtlepatterns.com | foxyfirewings & larfsalot @ deviantart.com

@Kaj <333333
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Drowning my thoughts out with sounds

The pain had been quietly chased away by the winter chill of starlit water and sad blue eyes, shared warmth of bodies that ached at the thought of continuing on into this unfair life. The weight had lifted a little from his shoulders after that quiet dawn-lit morning, but as always it had slowly started to settle down once more. Pressing upon his bones until he seemed to always ache. His ruined left limb, so freshly taken from him, throbbed fiercely with the arrival of Frostfall in a way he'd never experienced. A cloud of mist clung to his whiskers, tired blue eyes gazing out across the snow-dusted barren trees. He wished desperately for a companion in these moments, someone to share his thoughts with. He merely looked mad otherwise, talking aloud to himself. 

But he was unbearably lonely. His herd hated him, the one mare that could love him had been hurt and spurned by Other Kaj's apparent cowardice, Cirrus had returned as if nothing had changed in her long absence, and his friends had dwindled into so few numbers that he feared they would eventually slip between his fingers like sand. He had found a temporary, understanding sanctuary in Sohalia, and he wished he could go there nightly. Spend the rest of his days in the chill of that ink-black liquid, sharing each other's burdens, cleansing themselves. Purifying themselves. 

What am I doing, any longer?

What use was his crown when those below him cast stones, never caring to even speak a word to him or get to know him, while they eternally hoisted Archibald upon their shoulders? How blind and hateful could they possibly be? Without the emotional experience to temper his rage into self-hatred, he is bitter and disgusted with his herd and their narrow minds. I saved you all, he thinks darkly. You cannot complain about our actions while you live in these lands, using our resources and offering nothing of yourself in return. You are leeches, and I have no more blood to give you. I've shed it all on your behalf.

With a sharp noise of negativity the stallion turns and paces towards the borders, nowhere left to go and nothing to do for the evening. 

Until a sparking, glowing bird descends from the skies towards him. And Kaj follows. 

He is only half surprised to see Sohalia, for some reason. But he welcomes it, gliding down sharply to land in the thin snow before her, his heart crying with gladness. She who understood him, who had felt and experienced the weight of his burdens and not rejected him for it. "Sohalia," he said softly, muzzle extending towards her with a quiet, tentative hopefulness. "What do you need?" it was a gentle inquiry, because he'd sworn to always be there for her in her hour of need. Was that why she was here?

Image Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Astraeus flew, searching, as his bonded had bade, for the golden steed who ruled these lands.  He tried (and failed) to keep his thoughts on the matter neutral; the zephyr was angry that his bonded would throw herself at a stallion for comfort.  Look where that had led her, time and again:  pregnant and afraid, destined to be alone.  But he couldn't tell her that, now, could he?  What kind of companion would he be if he added to the stakes driven through her heart?  No -- the wakiya would protect the Transcended, even if it mean he had to bite his tongue from time to time.  The mare felt her companion's distaste through the bond, and she understood its source; but she could not bring herself to look upon the night that she and Kaj had shared with disgust, despite its less-than-ideal outcome.

It was not long before the Aurelight appeared, a gleaming shadow to join hers in the bright world around them.  Again, as before, she saw how haunted he was by ghosts unknown; she wondered if he had always been this way, and it had just taken her own misfortune to familiarize her with the image, or if he, too, had experienced more pain than he could bear since she had met him so long ago.  Regardless, his presence was a welcome one, and she felt herself begin to relax despite her nerves.  She offered a tentative, tired smile, reaching for him to mirror his gesture.  Her muzzle bumped easily against his, but this time there was no passion, only an unexplained affection.  "Kaj," she greeted him warmly, gently, a kindly embrace in an otherwise cold-hearted world.

Perhaps that was her problem - perhaps she was just too soft to survive the cruelty all around her.

She cocked her head slightly, peering at him as though to check for outward signs of the cracks she knew lay beneath the surface.  "How are you doing?" she asked quietly, returning her bi-colored gaze to his blue, piercing, searching. It was a challenge, of sorts: was the connection that they had made - a deeper connection than their physical closeness had allowed - still there? Or would his role in the Hidden Falls force the charade of strength to continue, glue the mask to his face, impossible for her to pry off?

She didn't answer his question. How could she? He had greeted her with warmth and affection, and she had only problems and drama to unveil to him. Again, she felt that rush of - love, but not love, not the romantic sort, anyway, but not really the friend type, either - whatever it was, but this time, she felt guilt. If only she had sought him out merely to ask how he was... but no. Of course it couldn't be that easy. She was laden with baggage of all kinds, and she was here to share her newest bag.

He deserved better.

He deserved more.

"Talk talk talk."
--Astraeus.--
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

The lay of the land betrays him. The cloak of his own title confounds and oppresses him, and he does not realize that the mask of I'm-good-I'm-okay is still etched onto his face until he sees the shadow of sadness and disappointment in her eyes. His smile fractures at the edges, and he sighs quietly into the cold of the air. Their smiles match each other's now, and he welcomes the warmth of her lips as they brush comfortingly against his own, chasing away both the chill of the snow and that of his own solitude. He had forgotten how cold you could grow with no body to lay beside, no brother to brush sides with, no family to share intimate touches with. He had lost them all, and yet here Sohalia was, seemingly so soon after their last reunion. She had not forgotten him. She who stood as alone as he did, reaching out to clasp fingers in the dim light. A solitary thread, a singular link that was as precious as it was fragile. 

His name was a benediction on her lips, and he did not deserve the relaxation he inspired in her beautiful frame. He did not deserve to hold the ability to chase the shadows from her eyes, and yet the mantle she placed upon him was far more welcome than the pain of his own shouldered burdens. This, he could carry. He wanted this, though he felt undeserving of it. Kaj would let her down, just as he had everybody else. He didn't want to see her face when he did. He may be stronger now without his memories, but even he could not deny that those he had failed still ranked in numbers he was too ashamed to face. How many more existed that he had cowardly forgotten?

She inquired after his state of mind, and the Aurelight couldn't help the pitiful, bitter laugh that escaped him. The memory of the herd meeting surrounded him, the disgruntled faces and rolling eyes, the displeasure - with Kaj - rolling off them in waves. "My family, my herd - the only thing that keeps me going, my only purpose in life...they despise me. All I have ever wanted is a family to love and be loved by," he admitted quietly, eyes dropping away from orbs the same shade and type of grief that he knew so well. It was too much like looking into a mirror while he admitted these things. "Without that purpose...what else do I have? What am I?" The whisper cracked like something bitter and broken on his tongue, and Kaj felt frozen in time with the admission he hadn't spoken aloud to anyone before. 

Shaking his head to rid himself of his little pity party he focused a sad smile on Sohalia. "But you came here for a reason," he noted softly, concern taking over his features. "What is it? What can I do?"

Image Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

It occurred to her suddenly that she must like to play the victim.

As much as she knew that her actions were what led her here, down this dark and twisting road of poor timing and rash decisions, she continued to think of it as fate.  She continued to begrudge that fleeting deity, Destiny, for it must have truly hated her to have led her so far astray.  She continued to condemn Karma, held to the fact that she must have been truly evil in another life to deserve such misery in this one.  Deep down, she knew that these tiny threads to which she clung were naught but a coping mechanism - a poor one, at that - and that knowledge scared her.  She hated herself for what she had become, but instead of giving in to that darkness (it being the more terrifying of the two), she continued to toss her net of blame everywhere else.  Her one saving grace was that she has never indicted others for her misfortunes.  No, it was always some nameless specter toward which she pointed her hoof.

Kaj's touch was welcome, though not in the same way as it had been before, offering a new kind of salvation simply in his acceptance of her, as she was, without any expectations of what she should be.  She sighed softly into his embrace, closing her eyes for a moment to soak it - him - in.  As shattered as she has become, she knew that the golden steed matched her break for break, and there was some kind of strange comfort in that.  She was relieved when he admitted that he was not, in fact, all right - though her heart ached for him, she was relieved that nothing had changed between them, that he had taken her comfort to heart and knew that she could be relied on during his weakest moments.  She had, after all, come to him in one of hers.

"They despise me."

She opened her mouth as though to argue, to spew some mindless garbage about how no, Kaj, they couldn't possibly hate you, what could you have done to deserve their wrath?  But it occurred to her suddenly that, as intimately as she understood him, she didn't know him at all.  Her fears resurfaced, for what if she had made a mistake to come to him?  What if he wanted no part in the life that stirred within her belly?  What if he sent her away, wanted nothing to do with her now that she came with even more baggage for him to carry upon his broad shoulders?  Her gaze dropped, tracing the ground around her hooves.

More than that, though, she could offer him no comfort this time, for he could well have done something to warrant the hatred of his herd and family.  That was a pain that she knew all too well, and her bi-colored eyes rose again to meet his.  I understand, she longed to tell him, ached to give him an explanation for how she had come to be here, to be his (whatever she was to him - she did not delude herself that they were lovers, but he had, in his way, claimed a part of her all the same).

"All I have ever wanted is a family."

Relief would be too weak a word to describe what washed through her then.  She let him finish, stepping closer in an attempt to press her forehead against his, offering comfort through physical closeness.  Her wings rustled as she moved, almost of their own acord, shaking out feathers before settling against her sides.  If he had happened to glance up, he might have noticed what her wings were hiding:  the slight bulge of her belly, not enough to be sure of a pregnancy, but enough to make him wonder...

"I'm sorry, Kaj," she told him, no pity in her voice, only comprehension of his pain.  There was nothing more that she could offer him than that, for sometimes, wounds were too deep to be healed, even among one's family.  Anything else would have been hollow, placating, and he deserved more than that.

"You're right," she admitted.  "I came... I needed... I..."  What was she to say?  Oh, remember that time we had sex?  Yeah, well, I hope you didn't want to forget it.  Surprise!  She sighed heavily, stepping away from him, turning away as though to hide her fear.  "I... I'm pregnant, Kaj."  Emotions welled up in her then, bringing tears to her eyes.  Even though she didn't think that he would react poorly, she still wondered if she had only brought him more pain, more drama, more... just more, when he had enough to deal with already.  "I'm sorry," she spouted suddenly, words exploding forth with a speed that she had not intended.  "I never meant for this to happen, I thought - it wasn't the right time, I didn't mean - I didn't - I -"

He had opened his heart to her, and she had brought him more anxiety with which to fill it.

She shouldn't have come.

"Talk talk talk."
--Astraeus.--

It was beyond him, how he could inspire such sweet, relieved sighs from the woman. He will never understand it, but instead of struggling against the sheer wrongness of the facts before him, he quiets his mind and simply accepts. He draws his own strength and comfort from the simplest brush of her skin, and while he can scarcely believe he does the same for her, he can't judge her for it either. Nor would he ever dream of denying her something that clearly brought her even a modicum of relief. So long as she was safe, he would fight to preserve anything that brought her happiness. 

The silence is a simplistic being as it settles between them. He takes no insult in her lack of response, because he knows the aspect of strangers still lingers between them. There is no comfort she can offer that would not be hollow. What she doesn't know is that even his most beloved of companions could not convince him of their sincerity either. At least he had been given the chance to let the words flow sour and bitter off his tongue, drip like acid upon the earth to scorch the moment into his records. He hadn't been able to admit it to anyone before, and her silence could not remove the cathartic relief that swept up inside his chest, an unstoppable reaction. 

Her softly spoken words, a mere whisper, did not condemn or pity him in their tones. "Thank you," he murmured plainly in response, with nothing left to offer where words stood insufficient. He suspected that even his mastery of the Helovian dialect could not account for the entirety of any language, that no words existed to describe how he felt in that moment. How he felt about her in general. 

Through her stuttering he is patient, a rock for her to lean on, a guiding light through whatever storm had chased her back into his embrace. When it finally fell from her lips, it felt as though his own electricity had turned against him, stunning him into utter silence. What? He stared at her dumbly, as her revelations spun wildly into apologies he would never have her make. His tongue felt thick, like cotton choking up his throat until his eyes were wet with tears that preceded the realization of his own emotions. "Pregnant?" Kaj croaked, heart thundering in his chest, a storm in its own right. And just like a storm it broke, shattering the stillness that had encased him, and he exploded from it in a flurry of his own convoluted emotions. 

But dominant among them was happiness - sheer joy, undiluted and passionate as he danced in place before her, wings arching in a proud display of his own excitement. "Don't apologize!" the man cried, hastily reaching forward and touching her anywhere his grinning muzzle could reach, shifting spots quickly in his own euphoria. "I've always wanted a foal," he whispered, eyes shining with the lights of heaven itself. Distracted, happy tears creased along the corners of his eyes. "No, it wasn't expected. And I know I'm not your mate but..." it was hard to form words when all he wanted to do was spiral into the sky and trumpet his hysterical success, this gift from the gods that had betrayed him time and time again. 

"I'm so happy," he croaked instead, because the words all felt so horribly inadequate. "Anything you want, anything you need Sohalia I will do it. We can do this," Kaj assured her, excitement buzzing in his words, manifesting in joyous sparks that curl and glow along his feathers. "Please never apologize for making me the happiest stallion in Helovia," he whispered, so overcome by his own emotions he could not raise his voice any louder. 

Whether she shepherded the child around in the wilds, or retreated momentarily - or permanently - into the Falls...Kaj didn't care, so long as he was part of his child's life. His child. "I'm going to be a father," he choked, smiling so wide his cheeks hurt. 

Image Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

It was terribly, painfully silent as she waited for any response from him.  She peered at him from under her lashes, watched the realization slowly reach his eyes, dawned across his face - and she was surprised to find that neither repulsion nor disappointment was there.  No, he almost looked... happy?  The moment stretched for what felt like ages.  "Pregnant?" he repeated, and she imagined that there was disbelief there, that this would be the moment when he would send her vague hopes crashing to the ground, when she would depart in shame to raise a foal alone in the Wilds.

"Don't apologize!" he exclaimed, and so sure was she that he would be furious that she immediately began to sputter, "I'm sor--"  But, realizing the content of his calming vocals, she stopped herself and looked at him, really looked at him, incredulity on her face, hope beginning to shine in her eyes.  He was dancing in place, touching her everywhere he could reach, and she lifted her wings so that he could, if he chose, touch her belly, where their child lay. Perhaps... perhaps she would not be shunned, perhaps she would not ruin this... friendship, whatever this was, with him.  Perhaps he was happy, and perhaps his happiness could finally convince her reluctant glee to appear.

"You - you have?" she stuttered, stumbling over the tumultuous emotions threatening to bubble over.  He wanted a foal - well, not one with her, surely, but even so, he was practically giddy.  She couldn't help but giggle.  "Yes," she agreed.  "You're going to be a father."  For a moment, she allowed herself to imagine what it would have been like, if Kaj had been the stallion that she had fallen in love with instead of Gaucho.  Would it have been enough to make her stay?  Would it have been enough to keep her family together, if Kaj was the father of her children?

"I - are you sure?" she asked, suddenly doubtful.  "I... Kaj, I've been a terrible mother before, I don't -" she cut off suddenly, her deepest guilt surfacing for the first time.  "What if I can't... what if I'm not... I don't want to fail this child," she admitted.  "Or you."  No, they weren't mates, and she didn't imagine that they would be in the future - but she did care for Kaj immensely, especially now, especially after his affection and support during perhaps the most tumultuous part of her life.  "I just... I want..."  What did she want?  A family, she admitted.  One that stays together, that loves and supports each other, that doesn't fall apart.  "I want to be a family, but I... what if I'm just not good enough?"

"Talk talk talk."
--Astraeus.--

@Kaj

Whatever storm she had encountered in the depths of her beautiful mind, Kaj strove to break through them, illuminate her in the light of his own ecstasy. A father. I'm going to be a father. The one thing held unattainable his entire life, handed to him so perfectly in the guise of a woman that did not intend to love him, but whom he understood and cherished nonetheless. Because his heart was too damaged to hand to anyone else, but she...she did not ask love from him. She asked only friendship, solace, a reprieve from the weight of the world that scarcely needed either of them. In a way it was perfect, neither asking more of the other than necessary. And though she trembled with her uncertainty, there was no need for her to do so. She had granted him his greatest wish, made his one goal in life a reality. He loved her for it. Already he loved the little life growing in the pale body of the regal once-queen standing before him, and he felt dizzy and lightheaded with his own euphoria. 

My child. Sweet, happy tears streaked down his face shamelessly, grinning so wide his cheeks ached. After eons of bitter, salted pain, they were a simplistic redemption. All his life's struggles and successes leading to this final moment when he could raise a tiny life, shelter and teach it, love it and prevent the pain of a rotted childhood that he had experienced. He had been handed the chance to make the world better through the force of his own love for a single child. Kaj would have quailed at the idea, but the force of his own love was a security blanket. He would die in a moment for his child, when it had not even blinked its eyes open or taken its first breath. So this is what it feels like, he realized in a swell of undefinable emotion, this is what love was always supposed to feel like.

Her wing lifted and Kaj stood in awe of the trust she displayed, the gentle swell of her sides unfitting the season - for a moment he panicked, knowing the child would suffer as greatly as he did, sharing the season of his own birth. But it didn't matter. Kaj would love his foal deaf, blind, impaired in any way. He would cross heaven and earth, throw himself into every plane of existence, submit himself before the Goddess herself for punishment of his defiance if it meant healing the child he loved. Gentle nares reached forward to trace the curve of Sohalia's skin, cheeks wet and lips quivering with emotion. You are so close but so far, my love, he wanted to whisper, but did not know how Sohalia would receive it. 

Her insecurities as he finally - reluctantly - pulled away was not something Kaj had expected. His own fortitude would have to carry her through, for while Kaj knew the mistakes parenthood could bring about, he would throw himself forth into this endeavor with the purest and most sincere of hearts. Gentle blue eyes gazed down upon the goddess before him, face soft and handsome, hoping to inspire trust in her. 

"Actions of the past only make us wiser for the future, my dear," he rumbled softly, though his gaze was sympathetic. He could not understand the pain of her past, the connection she held with her children - this was his first child. But he could try. "You will not fail us. I am here, I will be here, and my herd as well. The child will know only the greatest depths of love, I assure you." He couldn't make the vow for her that she would be there to see it, that she wouldn't run. Kaj knew too deeply the reasons why they ran, why they left him with his broken heart and the gaping silence of their passing. But he knew that the child would never be without him. Until death claimed him, he would be at his child's side. 

"We can't predict whether we will be good enough," Kaj said softly. "All we can do is try our best." 

Image Credits

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

The future began to unfold before her eyes. She would bear Kaj's child, would give birth among his herd, would raise their baby beneath the cascading falls that he called home. She would watch as their child grew into adolescence, making his or her place among the Falls herd, striving to please the Aurelight and succeeding at every turn. She could see the stallion doting on their child, training it to be a warrior if it were a colt, spoiling it as a princess if it were a filly - she could see it as plainly as the understanding on his face, as though she were standing beside him, watching every moment. She could feel her happiness, could taste her joy, could sense her contentment with all that their life would have to offer.

She would not ask him for love - no, that wasn't true. She would take his love, his adoration, but she would not ask him for romance. That was not in the cards for them, even if it might have been if this had happened a few years sooner. But she could see their friendship, their comfort in one another continuing to grow, blossoming into some deeper connection that she could neither name nor explain. As she gazed into his blue eyes, she could see the future that they could share, and she suddenly longed for it as she had longed for nothing else in her life.

This could be her new beginning. Their child could be their new beginning.

She turned her head to press against him as he traced the curve of her belly gently. A small smile had found its way to her face as she allowed herself this moment, this reprieve from the past and the future. It was only now that mattered, only this, and it was more than enough for the Transcended. Her bonded crooned softly from the trees above, relieved to find that peace coursed easily through her veins for the first time in years. Nothing about her past had been easy, but this - this was as simple as breathing. This was as simple as living.

Or maybe living was as simply as this.

The thought rocked her to her core, and as Kaj pulled away, she considered the possibilities that lay before her. "The child will know only the greatest depths of love," Kaj promised. "Our child," she corrected, peering at him from beneath her lashed, unsure if she was asking too much of him. "You're right, Kaj," she added. "I promise you, I will give everything I have to our child." She paused, suddenly shy again. "I... can I... stay?" she asked. "... Permanently?"

"Talk talk talk."
--Astraeus.--

@Kaj