the Rift

[PRIVATE] Never Look Back

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

It was the little stutter in her answer, that moment's breath after the I, that triggered the same hesitation in him. He realized with a shock that he wasn't even sure if he wanted to go back. But could Ashamin really leave his family behind like that? Rexanna, Rein, Hotaru, Ki'irha.... there were so many that he cared about back in the Basin. Wouldn't it be betrayal to leave them?

But what about Rhea? Sure, she was no close friend of his but she needed him; he had a sense, even if it had little grounding in fact and could have been made up entirely. It was more likely that he needed her—that he needed someone who didn't know of his sins, didn't expect a great love from him.

She, still and in her distance, was a comfort. And when she took his touch but shivered with it he felt sadness, as if it weren't something she'd ever expected. What kind of kindness had this mare seen, as a hybrid in a herd with so many like Rikyn? Maybe she wouldn't want to go back, either.  Maybe in this cold weather, in this wilderness... they could stay out alone.

But it was a wild idea, to leave the Basin behind. Ashamin couldn't commit to anything, not without talking to the God of the Spark, the herd leads, maybe others. The fact that he was even considering it now was enough to get the blood pounding in his ears and make him think he was insane.

Then again, a lot of what had happened recently was, well, out of the ordinary. And he wasn't exactly the better for it—could this help?

"Rhea..." he said to her, her name a whisper as it was eaten up by the snowy wind, "Rhea, what if we didn't go back? What if we stayed out here, together? We could make something else of ourselves. Find others, build something." Ashamin turned to look back towards the basin for a moment before locking eyes with her. He wasn't aware of how just his touch had affected her, so it didn't occur to him that the intensity of his dark eyes might stir something else. "The Basin isn't our only option, Rhea. If we—if I left it... would you wait here for me? Until I could find you again, until we could... figure all this out."

Figure all what out? The haruspex's heart beat loud in his chest, thumping heavily against his inner walls. His thoughts screamed, reason told him this was a foolish idea. Rhea was barely more than a stranger, the Basin was his home, why would he leave all that for a life in the wilderness with her? Just because now, in his moment of vulnerability, he found comfort in her cold lack of judgement, her lack of knowledge of the monster in his heart?

""

Credit

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
Never Look Back - by Rhea - 04-05-2016, 10:33 PM
RE: Never Look Back - by Ashamin - 04-23-2016, 10:40 AM
RE: Never Look Back - by Rhea - 04-27-2016, 09:31 PM
RE: Never Look Back - by Ashamin - 05-02-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: Never Look Back - by Rhea - 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
RE: Never Look Back - by Ashamin - 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM
RE: Never Look Back - by Rhea - 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
RE: Never Look Back - by Ashamin - 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM