the Rift

[DROP] Southward, to the Sea [EARTH MAGIC DROP]

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I stare into the cold of that water for a long time, and even when I cannot bear to look any longer I do not speak. No matter the uniqueness of the creatures that ask, I will not break my vow. Certainly not for something as trivial as fairyesque children’s pictures.

My ears flatten against my skull as I try to shut out the sounds of the voice all around me. Without realizing, my body curls in on itself and I begin to appear guarded. There are too many here, and I wish to have nothing to do with any of them. I trace the inside of my foreleg with my nose, think about its softness. All the while my eyes are trained on the water, seeking the pictures that the little creatures tell us to search for.

Perhaps I have already lost the imagination, or perhaps the picture shown to me is coincidentally the same as the one I would see any other day, but I can see nothing beyond my reflection. The gold dust shimmers and reveals only my own shape, but as I continue to look I wonder if it is growing smaller, as if I am viewing myself from afar. Regardless, one thing remains constant. The eyes in the gold stare back, and they seem brighter and more filled with hate than my own. On the back of the mirage, in the same place where my spine aches, I see the flickering shadow of protrusions of bones. Later in life, I’ll look back on this moment and consider it prophecy. At the time, I only look away.

The voices of others trickle in against my will, and I snort as others suggest innocent things. Butterflies, families, dragons and crowns. They exist in a world far different than my own.

""

m i l o

[WaterxDark :: Can use moisture from the surroundings to summon waves]
[Restrictions :: Extends 5m radius from body; can create up to three small or one large wave.]

one prior refusal

Milo sees himself, but older and with growths coming from his spine.

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Ahvelyn

Johnny spoke to me, but his words were as sweet and innocent as always. They were words I could hear, speak briefly of or to, but would not remember in my heart as something deep. I always appreciated the weaver's kindness, but it had been clear since the moment we met that his life was not touched by sorrow as mine was. Such happy folk I struggled to connect with.

When the miniscule sprites addressed our gathered crowd with chirping voices and overflowing enthusiasm, I once more felt a twinge of that lack of belonging. This day, its beauty, was not what I was used to. Were it not for the skull faced stallion, I may not have chosen to relish it. His choice to withdraw for the sake of his sons (which, despite bearing his unique mark, I had not guessed were his) was... curious. If nothing else, I made a note of it for later. That gesture was enough to remind me that as distant as it may seem, I was in good company more often than not, at least within Helovia's borders.

"Yes, it's nice to see you again too Johnny," I said absentmindedly, my voice sounding tired. I swept my long tail across the earth and closer to my legs, and looked away from the skull-masked stallion to see the pictures that others around me were so quick to note.

I remember I had expected to see you, or at least a ghost of you. The first thing I saw was a dagger, and so it only made sense that your body would form around it as it had in my womb. But I was wrong, and the moment the gold glitter formed to create something else I was so... happy. To have been spared a reminder of the pain of your loss, to avoid that memory and the hurt that came with it, was a brief blessing that I could only thank the pixies for.

Though I did not see anything so ridiculous as Johnny's outfitted and unfamiliar creeature, I was greeted with a lighthearted sight. I was surprised that I did not find myself secretive and unwilling to share. "I see a sloping mountain, covered in gold snow and flowers," I said then to the creatures, before stepping back to let others see. With vague intention I stood myself beside the father who had also withdrawn, though I could not say I had pulled away for the same reason.

"That was good of you," I said to him, refusing to meet his eyes (and perhaps acknowledge that I respected a stallion) and instead staring straight ahead as foals and fellows clamored to see. "It's rare to see a father be so supportive of his children."

""

Quotes and notes
background image credit to Angela Wolf at flickr.com

Seeking:
[EarthxDark:: Can craft steel blades on body from stripes.]
[Restrictions:: Blades can be removed with extreme pain and rust away over site-year. Can craft 3 small, 2 medium, or 1 large blade per season.]

No priors.

Spoke to @Johnny.
Spoke to @Volterra. (Maybe a thread after this?)

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Event
One by one, the strangers who have come tell the lights what they see – except for one, and another, who remains silent, though he approaches the water to look. Bobbing curiously for a moment and twittering amongst themselves about just what power he thought they had, the lights quickly return to their erratic zooming from one being to another.

The sugary stallion that had loitered on the outskirts of the occurrence with an older unicorn mare is the first to speak, his cheerful voice making the sparkling creatures flutter all the more wildly in delight. A manatee with a top hat! They squeal with laughter and twirl about madly, thrilled with such an imaginative image. Their giggling halts, however, when the mare who’d first spoken to them answers next.

"What’s sad about a puffin?" audibly whispers one or two of the lights to the others, who make up for the lack of tact in their comrades by humming sounds of comfort quite loudly as they flutter about her for another moment.

It’s no wonder they all quickly move on to Syrena, liking stories much more than melancholy. As she tells of her magical waves, the lights zoom out over the water for a closer inspection, the trails of their iridescent dust likely obliterating the image. Still, they act like they saw it well enough, with childish oohs and awes.

The two dark brothers, whom their large, white faced father had rescinded from the game for, come next; their ideas, like their somehow frightful appearances, make the lights uneasy. They are creatures of joy and happiness, and the thought of skulls, even fancy ones with crowns or those drizzled with gold, made them visibly shudder in the air alongside the child story tellers. For these tales, there is no delighted laughter or twirling, merely a sullen movement onto the next in line.

She has a wolf, which the lights seem to take a more immediate interest in, likely showering the poor beast in a deluge of sparkles. Still, her story strikes the beings as a good one, and the pretty collective of shining orbs each zoom by her face, letting their warm, tingly lights kiss along her face where it is white, white like her wolf.

The next girl to speak is white, too, with a horrible limp that she proudly tries to hide as she approaches the water. The glitter streaming baubles are glad that the water pictures have proven to be a delight to her, as well, and giggle cheerfully as they imagine butterflies dancing in the stars. "We see it too!" trill a collective of them, the rest bobbing in agreement (though they really only thought they had seen it at all).

The silent boy is of great interest to the lights, which are more empathetic than many beings. A deep, dark shadow lies in the heart of the little one, obvious in his refusal to speak (though he is obviously old enough to), and it makes them ache to see his bent spine, as it made them hurt to see Erthë’s limping. Sorry that their game could not ease the tightly bound knot of whatever hurt lies in the heart of the child, they are at least pleased to see he plays, in his own way, and cheerfully hum about his ears before moving onto the last.

She is also the oldest, the lights notice. The image she sees is serene, and peaceful, and the lights approve of the thought with an arcing swirl about her, reaching upwards and inwards, like an upside down tornado over her. The result is a cascade of glittering, gold, bronze, and emerald sparkles that bathe whatever is beneath them in a layer of shine. "Like mountains in the morning!" they laugh, the musical sound of it filling the clearing.

Thanking everyone quite wildly for their tales, the lights speak in a discordance that is somehow harmonious, some shouting at all the horses at once, while others take the time to approach individuals and whisper gratitude, or farewell. It’s not long before the baubles zoom off down the river, as if they are chasing all the glitter they’ve sent winding down its shallow banks, the sound of their wild laughter trailing after them. Only their shining, dusty refuse remains, literally everywhere but in the smallest of crannies or directly underneath the Helovians who have gathered.

Slowly at first, but gathering momentum, the dust flashes silver along the edges, vanishing in an inward race (though the glitter on those gathered seems to remain). It all seems to be pooling towards one of the individuals gathered. As the silver, ripping ring at last meets with the bay mare, the dust covering Essetia bursts into golden light. Warm, and bright, the radiance lasts for a few seconds. Throughout the clearing, the sound of playful laughter sounds, as if the lights hadn’t just rounded a far bend of the river, and out of sight.

Congratulations Essetia!
Everyone one else who got “dusted” may be sparkly for a few IC days!
Roll

pure randomness
Image Credit

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

VOLTERRA
you will remember me for centuries
His sons appear surprised - neither could possibly be more surprised than Volterra himself, however. Inside his mind, he can feel conflicting emotions from his dragons. Vadir is quite disgusted with his altruism - she thinks his children should have had to fight tooth and nail for this prize, and that includes beating their own father. Her red brother, however, is proud of Volterra's actions, and radiates happy thoughts into his mind.

Both Tyrath and Kid step forth to attempt to win the prize, and the stallion channels all of his energy into praying to the Gods that they will succeed. As he does, another familiar figure approaches - goodness, how she's grown. She's no longer a miniscule little filly, all puppy fat and gangly legs - she is well-proportioned and clearly on her way to womanhood. She touches a nose to his shoulder and he huffs air from his nostrils in return, his ears spinning upon his head to demonstrate his pleasure at seeing her. Last time they met, he was still numb from the aftermath of what happened with Isopia - she made him laugh, and set him along the path to bringing himself out of his stupour. "Erthë," he grunts. "There are my sons, Kid and Tyrath. Boys, this is Erthë, an old friend of mine." 'Friend' is not a term he uses loosely - he has few friends, yet he has known this filly for several years and spoken with her quite a lot in that time, so she certainly fits into that category.

Another mare approaches, this one unfamiliar. She's an attractive thing, with matte-black fur accented by blue stripes, and three vicious-looking horns perched on top of a well-sculpted face. Given he's in polite company, he forces his eyes not to roam too openly across her, and instead focuses on her words. He notices that she avoids eye contact; he often performed such behaviour himself in his youth as a way to acknowledge a superior (namely his mother), and thus makes no attempt to force the issue by staring straight at her. Instead, his own crimson gaze darts between her, Erthë and his sons, never lingering for too long on any of them whilst his mind idly stews the day's events.

The new mare offers her support of his actions, stating that it's rare to see a father so supportive of his offspring, and the goliath dips his head slightly in acknowledgement. Inside, the first ebbings of pride begin to materialise, but it's an almost...humble pride, if that is possible. He is usually the sort of man to delight and revel in any praise, especially if it's about his physical abilities, and his already-large ego is always in search of further inflation. But this...is different. This is not something he's done with the sole purpose of gaining respect or praise. It was done because it was the right thing to do, and as such he does not feel the usual increase in arrogance that he often does after performing something successfully. "It is the least I can do. I have not been the father to them that I should have been, but it seems only right that I put them first whenever I can." It is spoken quietly, intended for the blue-striped mare's ears only, although it is possible his sons or Erthë could hear if they shifted closer at that moment.

His attention is snatched by the floating creatures, who give their prize to a bay mare rather than Kid or Tyrath. Disappointment nips at his chest, but he accepts that sometimes, even his sacrifice is not enough to ensure success for his children. There will be other opportunities, however, he is sure of it. With a dip of his head to Erthë, Tyrath, Kid and the blue-striped unicorn, Volterra moves to leave the area.

LINEART: DARYA87.DA

Speakes to @Erthë and @Ahvelyn . Chan and Jen, if you both want threads set after this, I'm more than happy to <33

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]