the Rift

THE ACADEMY [Visionary Ranks]

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
It mattered not that she did not understand the last riddle, it was only that she would be able to answer this one. There were plenty of things she was certain about. But, she wasn’t quite sure what Myrddin wanted out of the question. He was such a patient animal, always making time to assist her in her curiosity, her need to succeed. Would she one day be able to be like him? She wasn’t sure, but as far as she was concerned, she was merely a pupil to his teaching. She looked around her now, the Basin growing large and daunting before her. At times she wondered if this was really the place for her… so dark and hauntingly magical. Would she find solace in their ranks? Her lips quivered with words, questions, thoughts, all pressing and longing for all things that she didn’t know. Was it her mother’s arrogant conviction when she spoke of how worthless her young daughter was and would ever only be? Perhaps it was this drive to prove her wrong that made her want to excel at everything that was placed before her. She looked at Myrddin now, though he couldn’t see, couldn’t understand her facial expressions, would never find the weakness in her eyes. “I am certain of three things since coming to Helovia- you should never dwell on the past, look forward to the future, and treasure the present. For without these three things, you will never obtain true happiness.

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin couldn't help but smile at young Sin's answer. Such a…philosophical sounding answer. There were plenty who Myr had met in his long life, who were excellent at sounding like philosophers. Sophists, they were called, who were masters of rhetoric. This philosophical mumbo-jumbo has turned into sort of a theme across the continents, existentialism it was called, something Myr never had much of a taste for. It sounded a lot like simply trying to sound philosophical without saying anything at all. "The nothing is more original that the not and the negation." he recalled one of them saying*. Was that what young Sin was trying to do now? Time to found out.

"Zikar-sin. Can you know a thing is certain, before it happens? I take it that your justification that things end, is based on your past experiences that things do in fact, end? But what reason do we have to believe that the future will be anything like the past? Just because something is now, does not necessarily imply that it will be that way in the future.

To your second point, I quite agree that if there is anything at all, there must be a beginning, for to ponder infinity is a tricky thing to pin down. However, and end is not what justifies a beginning. Consider the example of borrowing; say I borrow a stone from you. In turn, Psyche borrows it from me, Chernobyl borrows it from Pysche, and finally you borrow the stone again. This could continue indefinitely, that is without end, yet it would still be prudent to ask from whom the stone was originally borrowed. Infinite regression is not an answer for anything.

I would have you answer the first of my objections, before we continue."

Turning, to where Chernobyl's voice came from, he listened in turn to her answer.

"Chernobyl, you perplex me. Obtaining true happiness is certainly not what I would have expected your certainty to amount to. As with Zikar-sin, before we continue with your three certainty's, first I would hear why you think obtaining true happiness is worth being sought?"

[OOC: Linds, I checked with Tamme, we have to obey the 250 w/c rule. If this kills your muse, I can make thread-based things for her to go off and do :3

Zikar-Sin: Justify why Sin believes that the future will resemble the past.
Chernobyl: Answer why happiness is something which ought to be sought.

*Heidegger in, What is Metaphysics.]

Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

From heaven to hell did she come, clashing metal hooves to the stony pipes of his cage. Everything here was in siege, broken and battered from head to toe- but what did she care? Loneliness was but a mere aspect of her life at the hands of the one who took her for granted, spoiled her with words of neglect and touches filled with fear and anxiety. She could recall the day that her tainted matron whispered smooth lies into the ears of her youth. “Gods will not accept any of those who have been sworn to his righteousness. All born in darkness will end in darkness my dear.

It had been a warm day, much like those she had encountered here in Helovia. But that day was far from her clutches, though the wish for vengeance was still within reach. If only she had been old enough to understand the twisted conviction of her mother’s insanity. Would she have been accepting? Would she turn the other cheek? Surely not. This was no longer a game of wits. It was the season of beginning and with it came constitution. She was determined to bring this temple to the ground, furnish it with her anger and rise to new heights. She did not long to wreak havoc upon her new home, though she did long to find solace in the Basin and serve her Lady well. Certainly there was no policy for being loyal.

She hoped for his consent, looking into those black eyes as if they could see, would see her for what she was. Were there a name for it, a grace or entitlement that could suit her to such benevolence, she would have taken it. But it was no so. And here she stood on the brink of what was to come. Was it happiness? Was it forgiveness? There was no right answer here. Both creatures knew that by now and yet he insisted upon it, pushed upon some answer that could never be truly defined. So why would one seek it mercilessly?

Happiness is something we seek, something that defines an end to everything. We work to be happy, love to be happy, hate to be happy… overall, it is something that defines us. One must find happiness before death because to die without… would leave loose ends, things unfinished. We seek it to feel whole, to feel accomplished, if anything to feel worthy of all we have done. In its entirety, happiness is the beginning and end of life, without it.. we have nothing to strive for.

Would it be enough?

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Was Chernobyl frustrated? Myrddin thought that she just might be. His last riddle, a paradox, seemed to have caused her a good deal of grief. Was it a fair think to ask of her? Maybe, maybe not; but life isn't fair, and we take what comes our way. Now however, he was not even asking riddles. He was merely asking her - them both - to justify their words. A philosopher could not simply go around saying whatever first came to their minds....But then again, both Chernobyl and Sin had picked highly controversial statements for what they knew for certain. And now, they seeing what it was like to have to defend their views.

"So. If happiness is something which ought to be strived for, what about the creature who derives happiness from the pain of others? Or imagine, if you can, a creature given a proposition by the God of the Spark - he can live out his days meagrely here, in Helovia, or the God can place him in limbo, and implement false memories and places in his mind, so that although it is not real, he would have, and would experience everything his heart has ever desired, as if it were truly happening. " Myrddin flicked his talk, carefully pondering the subject. "One horse's happiness, is another's pain. You say we should seek happiness in order to feel whole, to have something to strive for…But why Chernobyl? Why does it matter at all?"

Myrddin paused again, with a deep sigh. His patient aged face tilted slightly as he considered the situation. Teach her.. His mind reminded him. Not everything came so naturally, especially to ones as young as Sin and Chernobyl. "Listen child," he began, his voice softer and more composed. "To say that one ought to strive for something, is to make a normative claim, that is, a claim about the way things should be. What you must understand, is that there is no objective way they should be, there is simply the way they are. There is no objective right and wrong floating about in the world, simply waiting to be discovered. Although," He said with an amused chuckled, "There are some who would believe that that is the case. But they are dreamers, and ignorant. So to say that happiness it something worth seeking, isn't saying anything at all, until you flesh out what happiness is, and what being worth anything, even means. Why should we live a happy life? Why should we live a fulfilled life? Why should we have something to strive for? You mentioned that to die without happiness would leave loose ends, things unfinished. But who cares? Now I am not saying your response is incorrect, youngling, only that there are a multitude of things which must be considered, before stating an answer so simply.

Now back to your challenge, Chernobyl. The three things of which you are certain, are that "you should never dwell on the past", "look forward to the future" and "treasure the present". Again, these are all normative claims - you're prescribing how one ought to act. Here is the second part of your challenge. Do you believe that these three claims would hold across the entire continent? Even in cultures vastly different than our own? Or are they limited to Helovia? To you?"

He nodded his muzzle, indicating that his lecture had ended. Patiently, he waited for a reply.

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

....Did that hurt you...?

*"Zikar-sin. Can you know a thing is certain, before it happens?"*

I can't, Sin realized in his head with a flick of his ear-- though his visage never wavered and he certainly didn't even blink as the old one continued on with his point. He wasn't crestfallen, however, as he listened to Myrrdin's musings; on the contrary, he was as interested as ever, straining his senses of perception and contemplation to listen and try to truly hear what the Wise One was trying to say. There was a lesson through all of this, after all.

*"...Infinite regression is not an answer for anything. I would have you answer the first of my objections, before we continue."*

"Yes, sir," Sin answered with a neutral tone, his own cogs a'workin'. It was true; there was no real way of knowing how the future would play out based on the information we gathered during our lives. From this perspective, it was folly to assume to predict and anticipate the unknown. With a humorous jolt, Sin realized that, with is previous answer, he had totally overlooked one important aspect of this land-- the Gods. Sin was not one inclined to worship, normally, and the lands he came from were not blessed with the heavenly presences of those opulent Titans. Yet here, their influence was most potent, and it was obvious knowledge to even a newborn foaling that Gods were beasts that endured. They were immortal (did that mean they were without mortal? Sin wondered) and would live on eons from now, shaping and sculpting the earth and the universe as they knew it.

...would they?

Shifting from foot to foot, a powerful epiphany overcame Sin; what if-- now just, what if-- the Gods were vanquished by some wayward warrior with a silver sword and shield? What if they were overthrown and remortaled (is remortaled a word? Sin asked himself) as per the whims and passions of their constituents? How could Sin know that the Gods would endure for eternity, if he himself hadn't endured eternity and witnessed the Gods frolicking and thriving in the pasture of Eden?

He couldn't know.

Sin laughed.

"Forgive me, Wise One," he said through the rogue giggles that slipped past his lips, "I mean not to mock you. I just realized something, and I would ask of you to allow me to ammend my answer." Straightening himself up and letting his mirth die away, Sin looked at Myr in his blind eyes and stated, "I am certain of a Beginning, and I am certain of Change. However, I cannot be certain of an End-- just as I can't be certain of Eternity. In fact, I am so certain of this uncertainty that I will change my answer in saying that one absolute certain is My Ignorance."

...Forgive Me...

Psilo

Chernobyl

Myrddin certainly deserved his title when it came to knowing of certainty. He did not judge things from their appearance but instead from how they truly were. It was then that she felt grateful to learn from him. Things that she had formerly thought so clear had become a little incoherent. It was obvious that she had a lot to learn not only from her mentor but from life in general. She hadn’t anticipated his observation about those who derived happiness from pain, but was it truly even happiness that they experienced? Was there actually a creature so dark and distorted here in Helovia that sought pleasure from pain? She had yet to meet such an animal, but perhaps Myrddin had been in the presence of such a monster. “Perhaps you may be able to give me an example of this cold-hearted creature that derives happiness from another’s pain?” She looked upon him now, curious about his experiences. Perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad time to inquire about her teacher as well as learn the lesson he had laid out before her.

But, that was not all that felt was unsettled. There was a purpose for happiness. After all, without it… what would everyone strive for? If given power, how was one supposed to feel? Sad? Gratified? If one felt gratified, wouldn’t that be a form of happiness? There was a purpose for happiness, whether Myrddin thought so or not. “Without it… what is the point? If you were to see again… would it not make you happy? Or are you saying that the search for happiness does not apply to everyone…? Would you say that it is something not often sought? Personally, I think happiness, no matter how you approach it, is an end point. A creature does not live, does not strive, for sadness. For everything that they accomplish, they achieve a certain degree of happiness, do they not?” For whatever reason, she stood strongly behind her views… after all, even if she didn’t become the perfect Haruspex… she still had something to believe in.

Perhaps you are right, but, wouldn’t you agree that without something to strive for, there is no real point to existence? If you take away such a figurative end goal, what exactly are you living for?” She pauses, searching for her point and trying to make sense of it before launching into a debate that was not altogether uncalled for. “Answer me this, what exactly are you striving towards in this life?” With that said, she fell silent, turning her head into the breeze to contemplate her second quest. Once again, she claimed inadequacy, but surely there was some way to get her point across without totally making a fool of herself.

Being that these are normative claims, wouldn’t that make them broad enough to apply to those across the continent? If one were to dwell on the past, how could they look to the future? Or if they did not appreciate the present, how could they move on from the past? Or if they did not look forward to the future, how could they work through the present? Every insinuation I’ve made has some form of truth to it… I don’t think there is a way to exact certainty because certainty could be referred to as a normative claim as well. What one would consider to be certain about, another could disagree, as you’ve done here.” She closed her eyes now, pleased in her sufficiency. Everything is different for everyone, no matter how hard you looked at any one situation.

ooc| If this doesn't make sense, let me know. I tried to cover everything and make it as clear as possible.

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin, who could not see Sin carefully hiding his emotions as he pondered the philosopher's words, merely waiting patiently for a response. There was a Philosopher once, who, if given the chance, might have argued that there was no reason to believe the sun would rise tomorrow. Our only evidence to suggest that it would rise, is simply the experience of our senses. We have experienced things in a certain way, and ignorantly and selfishly believe that they will continue to remain as we have seen them. But there is no casual relationship, between what we have experienced, and what will happen. When Myrddin first his this idea explained to him, it struck his mind so forcefully, that he could do nothing but ponder it for days. It had almost immediately turned him into a skeptic, a trait that he had not lost; one that he was testing his students on, at this very moment.

As Sin finally did answer, he laughed heartily and nodded. "Very good, young Zikar-Sin. Wise are those who understand the limitations of their knowledge, and are willing to admit such. Your answers have excluded you from having to complete the final portion of this challenge. I am pleased. Would you like to move onto your final and most difficult challenge yet? Should you agree, this will be your final challenge before becoming a Disciple of the Basin."

Turning, his large moose-like ears focused on Chernobyl. It was almost amazing that he could hear anything, given his old age and the abundance of hair which protruded from his ears. Nevertheless, Chernobyl was standing close enough, and his senses were no so far gone that they were giving him problems yet. Perhaps you may be able to give me an example of this cold-hearted creature that derives happiness from another’s pain?He paused thoughtfully for a moment, trying to decide how best to answer her question which would make the most amount of sense to her. Her mind was still young, and hadn't seemed to have grasped all of the complexities that philosophical inquiry required. Still, he was appreciative of her efforts, and her attempt to clarify. "As I said before, there is no inherent good or evil in the world. These terms are simply things we smear onto our environment, based on how they make us feel. Cute little foals are good, and icky crawly spiders are bad. However there is no inherent trait in either, that should make them so. So, in saying that our example needs to be of a cold-hearted creature, is a mistake. Let me explain: That which causes us pleasure, or pain, is merely a function of how our brains interpret certain signals. So, if one's brain were, through no fault of their own, were to interpret murderous acts as pleasurable, then they would simply intuit them as being good, the same way that you would interpret a pleasant sunrise, as good. However, to fully answer your question, I would say the Goddess of the Moon might be a prime example of one who takes pleasure in the pain and discomfort of others."

Flicking his tail, he pondered whether this answer was satisfactory. Deciding that he believed it to be, he continued to answer the remainder of her questions. If you were to see again…would it not make you happy?. Myrddin shook his ancient and weathered head. "No Chernobyl, it would not. If I regained my sight, what would that do? Allow me to traverse Helovia? Surely it would - but how would the merely seeing a land cause me happiness? Because I could see you? Is there something inherent in you, or anyone else, that would be enough to cause me happiness, simply by being?" He paused, beginning to feel frustrated by her questions. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled slowly, righting himself. He needed her to be clear on what the issue was, and he felt she was missing it.

"Chernobyl, I have asked you what happiness is, and you've replied that it is something worth seeking. But you have not answered what it is. Is the way to be happy to lead a good life? And what is that? Is in hedonistic, in the sense that one should seek pleasure, and avoid pain? Or is it a state of mind?That one could be happy, regardless of outside influences. In which case, regaining my eyesight should have nothing to do with my level of happiness. But if it did, then it would seem that my circumstances directly affect my happiness. However, I do not choose my circumstances; they are merely a product of decisions that I had made in the past, and those decisions in turn, are based on more decisions. Is enlightennment a way to happiness, or does ultimate happiness lead to enlightenment? Is there a state of being 'absolutely happy' that all should strive for? Is it measurable? Subjective?" He looked at her as kindly as his blind eyes would allow, lowering his head closer to her height. "You must be careful Chernobyl, as you train to be a disciple, to have a full grasp on the words that you use. Happiness, is something which is spoken of often, yet is not so easy to pin down and understand. I would have you remember that. "

Answer me this, what exactly are you striving towards in this life? "Why absolutely nothing. My life is merely an open-ended epistemic question. I believe we are like computers, in a sense. My body, species, gender, is all hardware. I cannot change it, it was a function of my heritage. My mind, emotions, thoughts, are like my software. However, the way I have come to be who I am today, is a function of the differing situations I have found myself in, all along my long life. From the moment I was born, the outcome of my life was fixed, for every decision I have ever made, and will ever make, is based on a specific and fixed set of variables, which could produce only one outcome. Although it feels like I am choosing as I go, I am merely unraveling the thread of my life, as it was always meant to be. So you ask what I am striving towards? I tell you again, that the answer is nothing. If I am aiming at anything, it has already been determined, and so there is nothing to strive towards, for I will inevitably reach it. "

Again, he patiently listened to her as she worked in her own mind ideas about normativity. Wouldn't that make them broad enough to apply to those across the continent? Myr nodded, Yes. That's exactly the point He thought with amusement. What one would consider to be certain about, another could disagree, as you’ve done here. "NO" His gruff voice boomed. Myr's antlered brow rose quickly as a look of anger and frustration rolled across his faded visage. "No, no no! If one is certain about a thing, by definition they cannot be wrong. Certainty is objective, and correct, regardless of anyone's feelings about it. So, if you cannot properly defend your certain beliefs of something, and convince another of its truth, assuming they are not being dogmatic, then you do not possess the knowledge that you think you do." Myrddin's tail snapped as his blind eyes rose towards the sky. The question of knowledge, was the dearest to his old heart, and he was often frustrated and irked by those who would dogmatically or ignorantly disagree. While surely Chernobyl was doing neither on purpose, he couldn't hide his frustration.

"The world is the same for everyone. Simply because some choose to see it in different ways, to brand things as ugly, or lesser, does not make it so. This world is not a democracy. Ideals, morals and values should not be chosen simply because they appeal to the greater number, or to those in power. There are objective facts in this world, that hold regardless of how you feel about them, and will remain true long after your body has rotted into the ground." Sighing, his anger fading now, he lowered his head once again, speaking more evenly. "Disagreement is the beauty of philosophy Chernobyl. While of certain things, there can be no disagreement, I concur that of other matters, there can be an abundance of disagreement. What you must learn to do, is to be able to thoughtfully justify your position based on more than simply how things feel to you, or how they seem to you."

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"...Would you like to move onto your final and most difficult challenge yet? Should you agree, this will be your final challenge before becoming a Disciple of the Basin."*

Though the older one couldn't have possibly seen it, Sin's eyes danced with the light of excitement and satisfaction. Once again he allowed that glow of self gratification settle over him for mere moments, enjoying it's heightening effect, before allowing the dust to settle about his hooves and he once again assumed an air of quiet humility. Once or twice throughout the session, Sin had spotted a curious looking mare with an angrily barbed horn, a tangle of inquiries rising in his breast every time he happened to glance at her; how did she come upon the Basin? Surely she was trying to further her ranks into the herd as well? While he mused on these things, however, there was no passion behind the thought; he would hear some of the words she spoke back and forth with the Haruspex, but it meant nothing to him--he strove to keep his mind focused on his own task at hand, to try and work his own mind muscles without the aid of a different perspective to bounce his mind off of.

Sin snapped his attention back to the Wise One, knowing he would be waiting for a reply. "Yes, sir, I would very much like to further my instruction," Sin insisted. He was thoroughly enjoying this; being surrounded by the presence of cold, hard facts was soothing to him; the poor dappled stud was still reeling from his odd experiences outside of the herd land. Yikes, but emotions were a frightening thing, weren't they? Better to stick to the anchors of life and her tenets.

(OOC: Bare-bones post, lol)
...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Yes, sir, I would very much like to further my instruction

Myrddin nodded, carefully pondering what to test young Sikar-Sin with next. Suddenly, an old lesson returned to his mind, which caused a toothy smile to break across his muzzle.

"Listen carefully youngling. You may take all the time that you need to answer. Imagine if you will a great ship, we'll call her Susan Delgado. This ship is so frequently out at sea, that Lace and the other crafters, must constantly repair her boards, sails, and masts. Not wanting to waste these pieces, as they might have some later use, the crafters carefully store each and every piece. Enough time has passed, that the crafters have in fact replaced each and every piece of the Susan Delgado, although the design has never once been altered. One of the apprentice crafters, to perfect his skill, has been playing with the old pieces of the ship, and has used them to build his own Susan Delgado, using only original pieces.

I ask of you Zikar-Sin, If you were to place the Susan Delgado created by the apprentice, next to the ship that Lace and the other crafters have been carefully maintaining, and I asked you to point out the true Susan Delgado, which would you choose, and why?"

Ah yes. Myr thought, quite pleased with this final challenge.

[OOC: Sin can ask as many clarifying questions as he likes. ]

Psilo

Chernobyl

She had clearly upset him with her constant inquiry, though it was certainly the last thing she wished to do, at least in the presence of her mentor. She was silent, leaving the atmosphere to ponder his words alongside her. It seemed that it was charged with an electric current, built and maintained from their banter. Nothing she did was ever entirely right, though she tried hard to make it so. In that moment she was hesitant. Perhaps she was not meant to become a philosopher, not at this day and age. Maybe she was meant for other things. She had become so narrow minded under her mother’s liege that it was becoming impossible to dignify the views of others. It was incredibly difficult for her to open her mind to the possibilities of the world around her, as she had yet to experience much of it as of late. She looked at the graying Haruspex and silently thanked him for his patience, though she would never have the courage to do so allowed. He had given her something that many others had quickly denied- a chance.

She shifted slightly to readjust her sleepy weight as it had grown stiff over the course of their heated discussion. Her knees cracked violently from the sudden change and she leaped into conversation once more, awaken by the reality of the passing time. The day was no longer young and she couldn’t imagine keeping the old stallion away from his agenda for much longer. “Perhaps happiness is not something sought by everyone, but everyone lives for something if not happiness. Maybe happiness is but an interchangeable term among others that one desires. However, happiness to me, is a final end or goal that encompasses the totality of one’s life. It is like the ultimate value of your life as lived up to this moment, measuring how well you have lived up to your full potential as really, any essential being. Being happy is a sense of being satisfied no matter how that satisfaction is achieved.

ooc| If this is wrong, shoot me love. <3

pixel is by RELI<3

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"I ask of you Zikar-Sin, If you were to place the Susan Delgado created by the apprentice, next to the ship that Lace and the other crafters have been carefully maintaining, and I asked you to point out the true Susan Delgado, which would you choose, and why?"*

Mmm-hmm! Sin hummed in his mind, already willing the machinery of his mind to start whizzing and turning over the ignition. Very quickly, however, Sin realized how enormous the implications of this riddle actually were; he began thinking himself into circles, seeing as the details were many and the possibilities were endless. Was this truly a riddle? Or a test of imagination?

Reeling himself back a bit, Sin closed his eyes, sighing deeply and clearing his thoughts for the moment. He must focus. One couldn't handle information overload; processing all things at one time was not a wise move, even if his beard were to drag along on the ground as he walked. Therefore, the dappled stallion split the problem up into pieces, and started dissecting them, word for word, meaning for possible meaning.

*"This ship is so frequently out at sea..."*

So there would be some form of rot in the wood, thought Sin, musing the problem behind closed lids. Plus, since it was the ocean, perhaps there would be some evidence of it? Barnacles, seaweed, saltiness among other things-- it seemed as though the water would leave its ever lasting mark upon the vessel, considering those pieces were to be replaced in order to keep smooth sailing.

"Sir," Sin said, his eyes still closed as he loosely contemplated his options, "How long was the original at sea during the time that the fabricated vessel was constructed? Was it shored, or were they still sailing it even as the apprentice worked his hand upon the loose pieces? Also, what kind of damage prompted the crew to replace a piece of the original vessel?" He opened his eyes briefly, looking at his Haruspex, "Without those answers, my answer would be this; I would lick both ships and determine that the saltiest one would be the original, sir."

He was quite serious about his method.

...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin waited dutifully as Chernobyl paused before replying. Did she feel that he was cross with her? He had raised his voice...but surely she understood that it was the subject matter that had riled him, and not her? Even so, his emotion shouldn't have flared as it did. Chernobyl certainly seemed more sensitive than he was, and may in fact have taken his tone of voice to heart. Idly, he flicked his tail wondering about how such an emotional creature perceived philosophical issues. No doubt an intuitionist he mused. Myrddin was a creature of objectivity, however, there were those who found strength in intuitive reasoning. For them, it was enough that something seemed to be the case, even if there was evidence to the contrary. This was apparent in how Chernobyl phrased her response, beginning with, Happiness to me....

"Chernobyl. You and I will come to intersections of thought. If you and I are to continue, you must learn to disagree with me in an appropriate and philosophical manner. I welcome thoughts contrary to my own, for they demonstrate to me whether or not I am able to accurately justify my points against someone who takes an opposing stance. You must learn to do the same. The line you must walk is as fine one, between advocating for what you believe, and knowing when you may be in error."

At that, he would comment no more on her views on happiness.

"If you accept these conditions, we shall continue."

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

I would lick both ships...

Peals of hearty and gruff laughter erupted from the blind stag as Sin hazarded a wayward attempt at an answer. Salt content? he mused. Such a practical answer to a philosophical question. "Should you like the ships, Zikar-Sin, you would return to me with a mouthful of slivers and be no closer to an answer, than when you began." Thinking of Sin returning, mouth swollen and full of wood, brought a new round of cackles from the unicorn. Tears oozed out of his milky white eyes, and Myrddin absently noted that apparently the magic which had blinded him, had left his tear-ducts unaffected.

Finally catching his breath, he tossed his head slightly, shaking his forelock from his eyes. Although he had no need to, the habit of removing things from one's eyes was still ingrained within him. This was Sin's final challenge, before attaining the rank of Disciple, and Myr hesitated to give him a clue, as he had done with previous challenges. If he could not prove himself now, what was the use of promoting him to something he wasn't ready for? Still, clarification might be in order.

"The ship has been at sea continuously. Only docking long enough for repairs to be made. These repairs, are of the sort any ship would require - rotten boards, broken masts, torn sails. Imagine that this process took two years, at which time, the Susan Delgado had been completely replaced, and the old pieces collected and put together again. " Flicking his tail, he paused thoughtfully, fearing that Sin was possibly looking at this the wrong way. "Think of this not as a practical question, youngling. At the heart, this is a question of personal identity, of how a thing can persist through time. "

[OOC: There is more clarification Myr can give, if necessary :3 ]

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"Should you like the ships, Zikar-Sin, you would return to me with a mouthful of slivers and be no closer to an answer, than when you began."*

The old one was laughing at Sin's proposal, positively tickled by the nerve of the dappled stallion. One might be offended by such behavior-- it most certainly would have been perceived as mocking in nature, and yet Sin was unaffected by it. Well, that was a lie; he was affected by it, but it was certainly not a negative reaction. Once again, Sin was moved by the peals of laughter of another; it lifted some strange weight from his shoulders and filled him with such a profound sense of contentment, the ice-eyed fellow could have laughed alongside the Wise One. The meaning of his words, however, weren't lost on Sin, and he listened hard even as the old one quieted his laughter and brought the matter back to seriousness.

*"Think of this not as a practical question, youngling. At the heart, this is a question of personal identity, of how a thing can persist through time. "*

Once more, Sin closed his eyes, immersing himself in his thoughts and ideas on how to properly unravel this riddle. As with most of the quandaries he faced, Sin decided to go back to the beginning of the riddle-- but he amended his contemplative process. The Susan Delgado was replaced by newer parts...so would that mean that the apprentice's ship was the true Susan Delgado, since that is the original substance of the ship? he thought to himself; he almost opened his mouth to blurt his answer, but then held his tongue at bay, wrinkling his brow in concentration. The ship with the replaced parts is ALSO called the Delgado, said an opposing thought in his head, while the other ship is currently unnamed...or is that a factor? Sin shook his head, willing himself from going down that distracting train of thought. Focus. Focus.

Which means, Sin thought with a sobering sensation, that the issue here is what constitutes as being the "Susan Delgado". What's the standard with which we should judge it? Would it be the ships name that creates the identity? Or the makings of the ship itself? With a wry smile, Sin recognized a similar conundrum he had witnessed within the society of many of his kin. Was it one's name that determined the person's disposition? Or was it the content of their character?

Sin's eyes came open as he looked at the Old One. He gave him one of his most sincere stares. "Sir, I have....something," he said with some uncertainty, smiling shyly as he looked as his master; would would have said "I have an answer", but upon immediate reflection he wasn't all too sure about a definite response. "If I may explain," Sin began, "but it seems as though both ships are the Susan Delgado, but looking from different standpoints. The first 'original' ship would be the Susan Delgado in title and identity, as it is the quantity in which it started its life, and hasn't changed in that regard. She simply has different parts. While the apprentice's ship," Sin trudged on, "is also the Susan Delgado, looking from a substantial point of view, as it was created with the parts that made up the original Delgado's physical presence."

Sin stretched his tongue a little out of his mouth; it seemed as though he tongue-tied himself, having said quite a mouthful and not even sure if he had explained himself well. "If...that makes sense," he finished lamely.

~~~~~

(OOC: But really though, if that DOES make sense, I tried to explain the whole thought-process behind the response. Let me know if it's not precise enough x.x )

...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

[OOC: Oh yes, it's fine ^^; I know this problem inside and out :P]

Myr was truly beginning to like this youngling. His mind seemed…deep. There was a depth and longevity there, that interested the old white stag. While he surely needed more training, more practise, he certainly seemed to show the makings of quite a fine philosopher. Psyche had done well to allow this unicorn into her ranks.I wonder what he thinks of Psyche's recruiting criteria..? He pondered, mentally storing that question for a more private and less professional conversation.

"I accept your answer, young Sikar-Sin, yet I would leave you with a word of advice. Be careful how often you hedge your answers. Although there is merit in being able to understand both sides of an argument, and finding valid points, you must also have enough of a philosophical foundation to know which argument sits best with the totality of your beliefs. You have given the answer of 'both', to my original question, but consider this: Your body replaces the totality of your cells, at least every 7 years. Imagine, that upon your 7th birthday, the God's replicated you out of all of those old cells. Surely you would want to make the argument that you, are the correct you? And yet, given your statement here, you would be unable to do that."

Tossing his old head, he looked away from where he assumed Sin to be, indicating he was not looking for a retort to this lesson. Flaring his nostril as he exhaled, he nodded to himself, before turning back to Sin. "Go forth, Sikhar-Sin, with the rank of Disciple." Myr said, with a note of pride in his gruff voice.

Psilo

Chernobyl

An intersection of thought? Is that what he chose to call it? Whatever the case, she was growing impatient of his constant denial of her quest. It was as if she had been backed into a corner and forced to dance betwixt his rough command and his eye for scrutiny. She turned away from him, as if he would notice her lack of jubilance any longer. He could not see how she struggled, could not hear the tones of frustration masked beneath her monotony. She drew a daggered hoof from the ground to strike it against the sullen stone that rested beneath her. It was a resounding craccck! that responded to her and she was reluctant to gaze one more into those milky eyes that saw nothing other than his own thoughts. As a Haruspex, she would be different. After all, didn’t everyone run along their own lines of latitude and longitude? Was though not an expansive thing that was changing from one specimen to another? Her grunt was a mere reminder that she was still alive, still trying and better yet, still pushing for whatever meaning it was she was looking for.

I wish to continue. I shall accept any conditions that you wish to place. Though you must know that I was not trying to defy you My Haruspex, I was just trying to justify my definition of happiness…” Whatever happiness was anyways, she surely didn’t think that it felt like this. She was struggling, pushing to and fro against the bottomless pit of explanation that made sense to her and made sense to Myrddin. There was no telling what kind of answers he expected, no telling what kind of explanations would satisfy. She was struggling yes, but she intended to push through it. She always did.

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Was Chernobyl throwing a temper tantrum? Without being able to view the look on her features, it was difficult to discern her emotional state. All his large moose-like ears detected was the sound of her hoof striking the rock, and an ambiguous grunt. Nevertheless, her voiced opinion was that she wanted to continue. Myrddin, who was not one to dwell on the unsaid, merely shrugged. If she had something to say about his teachings, she ought to say it. "Defy me all you like child, only be prepared that I shall challenge you on each word that comes out of your mouth." He replied with amusement. He couldn't help but shake the feeling that Chernoybl seemed to take everything so personally. They would have to work on that.

"Your final challenge is again a riddle, but a simple one. How many times can you subtract 5 from 100?"

Patiently, the Haruspex flicked his tail, awaiting a reply. Would Chernobyl again think he was tricking her, as she surely must of with her first problem, a paradox? If she was going to be a philosopher - and a Haruspex one day - she must learn to trust herself, and not be sullied by her past impressions of others.

[OOC:Will change the table once I'm home...]

Psilo

Chernobyl

His next challenge was a little more surprising because it seemed that it was slightly mathematical. Or was it? You could subtract five twenty times if you looked at it mathematically. But, you could only subtract it once if it were indeed to be subtracted from one-hundred. After that she would be subtracting from ninety-five. She wanted to ask to make sure that she was on the right path and she seemed to take a deep breath and calm herself. She didn’t need to be taking this so seriously. After all, things had been trying on her lately, what with Psyche inviting her to the Plague. She wondered what exactly it was going to be like working under the Lady’s constant beck and call. Whatever she needed, Chernobyl would make sure that she had it… No matter what was asked of her. It wasn’t a question of heart; she had plenty of heart and determination. No, it was a matter of sheer will. Was this what she wanted? To wreak havoc upon those not graced with a crown upon their head?

It was hard to imagine Myrddin feeling this way. Did he presume a certain leadership over those who were not his species? Looking at him, she quietly assessed him. Something about him was older, wiser, and she couldn’t imagine him being prejudice against those unlike himself. But she didn’t have time to think about such things with her challenge looming overhead, she had this one chance to get it right and prove to him that she was worth being his disciple. “If we are not looking at this mathematically, then you could only subtract it from one hundred once. Otherwise, you would be subtracting it from 95, then 90, then 85, and so on…. unless you were looking for a different answer?” She lowered her head, finally growing weary from the day and all her trivial thoughts and thoughts of more real importance. Again, she wondered if she was really cut out for the job, or if she would be better suited as something else.

ooc| I bet you'll be glad to be done going back and forth with me LOL. Thank you so much Aud for working so hard to get me through this. You don't have to change the table or anything for this. I feel like you've done enough already. <3

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

With a grunt of approval, Myr nodded his ancient and weathered skull. Chernobyl had answered promptly and quite correctly. His little chicks were growing up so fast. "Correct, Chernobyl. You have done well, and have surpassed my expectations of you. Can you not see, how in such a short time, how quickly your mind is growing? I am pleased. Leave me now as a Disciple of the Aurora Basin. "

Myrddin flicked his long tail and turned away from both Chernobyl and Sin. Riddling with them had taxed his body, and his joints cried out with pain. The arthritic snake who curled around his bones had grown restless due to the time Myr has spent standing - and was moving freely and with an icy-hotness through his body. Muttering to himself about how dying would be far easier than continuing day after day in this decrepit body, he began to walk in the direction of the hot springs, seeking the soothing warmth of the naturally occurring watery bath.

He would seek out Psyche after his bath, and discuss the future of his little lambs. Although the next hierarchical rank for them was to succeed him, Myr was sure there was much they could contribute to the Basin before that was to happen. More than likely he would die before one of them possessed the mental capacity to usurp him. Still, perhaps Psyche had plans for them?

[OOC: I'll discuss with Rayo what the next steps for you two are ^^ Thanks for playing!]

To go on is to go through.
At last, even the seer is cremated.
Each seed loves the dark for the light it promises.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
ooc| Thanks again Aud!