the Rift

[OPEN] Remember the light (Paladin, Open)

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

The Ice King's smile was perhaps an awkward expression on his normally stony face, but Paladin appreciated it nonetheless. While he was still wary of the white beast, Paladin could not allow his preconceived notions to be so set in stone that he denied anyone an opportunity to change his mind. Mauja was a friend of Ophelia's and stood here with Midas and himself speaking civilly, and Paladin knew he could not say the same for his half-sisters or many others for that matter. In this way, Mauja had earned Paladin's respect for one could respect another, even if hatred fumed at the whisper of their name.

Paladin's ears tilted forward at Mauja's observation about the Dragon's Throat. "I had never considered that notion before," he replied honestly. "The first and last time I visited, I was barely permitted beyond the threshold and the Lady Kri did not find my presence even remotely tolerable. She reminded me of Aera, but far more prickly..." The stallion trailed, brows furrowed. From the tone of his words, he was not insulting the winged queen, but his expression showed that he was obviously confused by her behavior.

A deep frown settled on the stallion's lips when Mauja suggested that he speak to his pale daughter, and his heart ached. The thought that his daughter had forsaken his teachings in such a way, especially when she had always been so sensitive and kind, hurt him in a way he had never expected to feel. "You are right," he replied solemnly, taking no offense at Mauja's politely delivered words. "The battle for a homeland is not one of which I disapprove. I am proud that my daughters are so independent and strong, but the purpose for which they banded together..." he trailed, shaking his head. "Dishonorable. War is fought and blood is shed for family and those you protect, never for the payment of goods that will fade with the earth. My hooves are not clean, and my past is stained red, but every battle was fought for family, for herd, for home - right or wrong, it was loyal. Putting a price on a life?" Paladin snorted, obviously passionate about this subject.

Crimson eyes turned back to the ice king. "Even despite my beliefs, your words remain true. What I taught may not have reached their ears, and Ophelia will listen to me. I will listen to her. Perhaps it is time I seek them." The black dun then looked to Midas and smiled sympathetically.

"When the ones you love question what you believe to be right, life will never be easy," he said simply, quietly. "What Ktulu and Ophelia have chosen has also driven a rift between myself and Soleil, one that I believe will never mend." The thought brought a deep sorrow, but a cloud had settled on their past in his mind. It was a dark cloud of clarity, true vision, and he saw Soleil for who she was: beautiful, kind, gentle, but with a violence that could not be settled. "However, I have seen love so selfless and pure that it transcends the will of the individuals. I would fear that love, but it is a beautiful thing. My heart is not built for such illogical and dangerous affection."

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

Midas did not comment on his quiet observation about the Throat, but Paladin seized it, turned it over in his hooves, and spoke. Mauja had expected some kind of question, why do you say that?, really?, why have you been in the Throat?, but after simply admitting he'd never thought about it, he went on to talk of a meeting with Kri. Mauja had to fight down a smile: at least he wasn't the only unicorn stallion around she didn't like, though in this case he assumed she had less of a reason to dislike Paladin. Why, he even seemed perplexed, and much as the pale beast wanted to know, poke and prod and quietly bleed their wounds dry to slake his own curiosity, he let go of it. There were times for everything, and this was not the time to pull the secrets from their brains and examine all their cuts and bruises – nor was it the time to admit that a God had taken somewhat of a personal interest in him and, for lack of a better theory, banished him to an alternate dimension.

So he was glad to let the talk turn to Ophelia and Ktulu, and Paladin's relationship with them, just as he was surprised to find that he longed to know every detail of Phi from the lips of another, to complement the picture he already had of her, but whatever bits and pieces Paladin gave him were sparse, woven into a tapestry of passion and disapproval. Mauja could understand that, his own mind spinning to colder temperatures and harsher times, to the flicker of braziers on icy crests and the huffing of breaths in icy tunnels. Vendettas and revenge were the things which caused the structure to collapse, individuality sacrificed for the cause, the union; mercenaries had no place in the world of his birthland, they would slip on the wet ice and bring more than themselves down. To survive the teeth of winter and the powerful jaws of their enemies; not for glory.

Come to think of it, when was the last time they had fought equines? Centuries ago? Never?

Briefly Mauja debated saying I understand, for some part of him did, but he allowed the silence to reign, and the moment for an interjection passed as quickly as it had come. And while he was wary of Paladin's opinions, what Paladin might say of him to Ophelia, or what Ophelia might say to Paladin, he decided that it was a small victory that he'd not brushed his words off, but rather considered them and took them to heart. And maybe it showed that Mauja was not carved wholly from ice and marble, but that there was something of warmth and life and blood in him, too.

Midas once again betrayed something of youth, and Mauja turned his face away, feeling a flicker of amusement and bitterness. Was there a plea in the question, a prayer for a brighter future with some lady who had trapped his heart? A lady who did not fit the schemes of the Throat, the space carved out beside him? Paladin revealed more of himself, and once he was silent, Midas' golden eyes turned to Mauja, who had turned his head again to look at him. "Is not family part of life?" he asked softly, but understanding, in his heart, what he meant; it was, he realized, the thing he'd been asking himself for an eternity, whenever his dreams ran full of milky white and the blood red. "Sometimes duty forces you to run against what you wish, herding you down a path you would not otherwise have walked. Is it strength to bow your head and follow it, carry out your orders until the last breath, or is it strength to break away and leave that path for another?" Mauja had no answer, simply asked it, half-rhetorical, of them both. His upbringing told him one thing; his heart another.

He doubted they would ever agree.
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Light them up.</style>

I had pleaded for some sort of mythical answer that had no weight, an assessment of personal problems. Somehow we dared to hope that if only the right question could be crossed our lives would be made better—and hard choices taken away from the equation. Such would never come to pass. As Earth had said to the fires of revenge; there was no solution—all remained grey. When was it right to abandon one family for another? Or take a life? The socked warrior turns to me with a pity grin, knowing the answer my heart knew through wisdom; but understanding that whispers needed to be solidified.

“When the ones you love question what you believe to be right, life will never be easy.”

How many times had Ktulu requested my presence within her family, twice, thrice? I had turned the lady away, falling back to previous loyalties that snagged my soul. It wasn’t only for a slice of land, or even my vow to the Sultanas which held me—my father had been a defender and his father before him. A quiet history of generations passed. They had slipped from this world in previous wars, but they died with honor--defending their vows and promises. To leave my promises behind only for the sake of new ones would shame the history of our family; and what of the honor toward my comrades? It was getting harder to find willing warriors with a virtuous heart.

“What Ktulu and Ophelia have chosen has also driven a rift between myself and Soleil, one that I believe will never mend.”

I knew that this 'Soleil' was their Dame and his mate; Ktulu had never spoken of a mother—but then she also didn’t speak of her father either. The softness in their father was visible like fog over a lake on cold mornings, “Does she yet draw breath?” He had known love before, “However, I have seen love so selfless and pure that it transcends the will of the individuals." Was there shame in truly loving someone? Father had never been ashamed by the love he held for my Mother. I said nothing, only nodded to show that his words had been understood and taken. Still frowning grimly my eyes turn to Mauja as he begins to speak, “Is not family part of life?”

“Aye,” I say in agreement, though my heart throbs quickly and blood felt as if alive with needles. Family was part of our day to day lives. “Sometimes duty forces you to run against what you wish, herding you down a path you would not otherwise have walked. Is it strength to bow your head and follow it, carry out your orders until the last breath, or is it strength to break way and leave that path for another?” Mind spun in upon itself for a moment, then came out with an answer—“My father would have followed orders, and it is his teachings that has guided me thus far…but he is not here anymore…” I trail off, lapsing into silence. After a moment my lips slip apart to speak again, “I do my best honor his memory, though I fear it will fall short of his expectations.”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]